Oh....I have been desperate for some help and advice in parenting this week! My oldest girl is 3 1/2 years old. She is defiant, strong-willed, sassy, bossy, demanding, etc... you know all those wonderful qualities of a first born!..haha!Our church offered a wonderful class this evening. It's called "Parenting For The Real World". Here's a brief summary of my notes. I took tons of notes :)
#1 Goal in Parenting: Teach your child to obey you without defiance, delay and excuses.
#2 Goal in Parenting: Teach your child to love God.
#3 Goal in Parenting: Teach your child to love other people by putting them first.
#2 Goal in Parenting: Teach your child to love God.
#3 Goal in Parenting: Teach your child to love other people by putting them first.
I thought these goals were very good. I need to work on them. Here's a great verse:
Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he/she is old he/she will not turn from it.
Now, here's my favorite part of the class since there's a lot of arguing in my home right now.
3 steps on how to neutralize arguing:
1. Go brain dead- quit listening to it (when they ask 10 times for the same thing)
2. Have a one line ready and respond with: "and what did mommy say?" or "what a bummer you really want that?" or "I love you too much to argue with you"
3. Become a broken record. Yes...repeat yourself as much as you need to, but don't give in.
2. Have a one line ready and respond with: "and what did mommy say?" or "what a bummer you really want that?" or "I love you too much to argue with you"
3. Become a broken record. Yes...repeat yourself as much as you need to, but don't give in.
1 comment:
Sounds like that was a great seminar! I need to learn some of those now, and Elle's only 22mths:) haha, good luck!
Post a Comment