Sunday, August 17, 2008

Parenting Conference

Steve and I attended a parenting conference at our Church the same weekend of his birthday. It was truly amazing. We both learned a ton! We are grateful to have had the opportunity to attend.

First speaker was Dr. Rob Rienow. He talked about "God's Grand Vision for the Home". Check out his website at www.visionaryparenting.com.

I was most impressed by Pastor Ron Elwardt from Camelback Bible Church. He talked about the "7 Myths of Modern Parenting". I thought I'd share them with you:

Myth #1- To be a good parent I have to get my child involved in many outside activities.
Myth #2- I am too busy to serve in my Church. Read Romans 12 and Ephesians 4.
Myth #3- Good parents keep their children from suffering. Read Hebrews 12:10-11 Rom 5:3-5
Myth #4- The goal of good parents is to make their children happy. Read Romans 8:28-29
Myth #5- If I homeschool my child or send him to a Christian school, there is less of a need to plug him into Church sponsored ministry.
Myth #6- The Church is providing my child's spiritual education so I can focus on other things at home. Ephesians 6:4 & John 17:3
Myth #7- The main role of a parent is to protect their children from the influences of our evil world.

At the crossroads-whether high school or college- control becomes a myth. In fact, the more we try to control, the more likely we will push our children away from us.... If they witness a fear driven religion based on control, they will likely run as fast and as far as they can in the other direction. Author Gary Thomas.

No comments: